Global Youth Services Day
What is Global Youth Service Day?
Global Youth Service Day (GYSD) is the largest youth service event in the world with millions of youth in more than 100 countries engaged in community service and service learning projects. UT Arlington's Big Event will again be partnering with GYSD, making it one of the largest community service events of its kind in North Texas. Over 3000 youth plus 1000 college students will make great contributions to our communities. Listen to last year's youth groups tell their story (click here).
The City of Arlington Provides a "Thank You Celebration for Youth" on GYSD (11:30 am to 1:30 pm) at the Levitt Pavilion in downtown Arlington. All participating youth groups are invited to attend, enjoy a free lunch and entertainment, and celebrate the many youth groups and youth that will be honored for their great work in our community.
Key 2013 Calendar Events:
- Key Preparation Dates:
- Jan.31: (Thur. 4:30 pm): Coalition Pledge Day --read, listen to webinar, and submit pledge.(Click here)
- Feb. 28: (Thur. 4:30 pm): Youth Group Registration Day; Listen to webinar (click here)
- Mar. 21: (Thur. 4:30 pm) Grant Day: Coalition checks; contest submissions. All coalition and youth group leaders should attend. (George W. Hawkes Central Library -- basement studio)
- Events and Completion Reports:
- Apr. 27: Global Youth Service Day Coalitions complete projects; and attend City Celebration (11:30a – 1:30p) at Levitt Pavilion.
- May 3rd: Data Day when all youth groups submit Completion Reports
How Can Your Youth Group be Involved?
There are three ways that youth groups can be involved:
- Form a Coalition: Every School, Denomination, Scout organization, non-profit, or community youth
organization is encouraged to form a coalition of youth groups that will work on community service
projects. Normally, one or two youth groups will organize their coalition. Each coalition must pledge
their organizations participation prior to Pledge Day. To learn about how to form a coalition and
apply for our grants: (click here).
- High School: Must have 5 youth groups at this level with over 50 youth involved on GYSD and its project.
- Jr. High School: Must have a total of 35 youth involved on GYSD and its project.
- Elementary School: Must have a total of 20 youth involved in GYSD project.
- All Youth Groups Must Register: Youth groups must register for GYSD prior to February's Registration Day. They may register as a member of a coalition or as an independent youth group. Here is how you can learn more a about youth group requirements, (click here).
What Contests Are Available for Youth Groups & What Honors and Grants Can be Earned?
Each of these contest are broken out into age groups (Elementary, Jr. High, and High School) to provide a level of fairness and encourage participation. Winners are announced, trophies presented, and grant checks provided at the City's Thank You Celebration for Youth.
- Best Service Project of the Year Contest: Every youth group participating in GYSD or in most of our Small Grants Programs (click here) may participate in this contest if they have completed service projects since April 2010. Entries must be delivered to the 3rd Steering Committee Meeting on March 26th. Honors include a trophy and a grant to help that group complete additional community service projects prior to April 2012 (see details).
- Arlington's Youth Service Leaders of the Year Contest: Every youth group participating in GYSD or in most of our Small Grants Programs may participate in this contest if they have completed service projects during the past year (see details)
Facts about Global Youth Service Day (GYSD)
- To mobilize youth to identify and address the needs of their communities through service and service learning.
- To support youth on a lifelong path of service and civic engagement.
- To educate the public, the media and policy-makers about the year-round contributions of young people as community leaders.
To Learn more about GYSD, click here.
Global Youth Service Day Sponsors:
We appreciate Youth Service America's role in organizing this event in the United States. A very special thanks also goes to the State Farm Companies Foundation, the presenting sponsor for Global Youth Service Day.
Our major local sponsors that want you to succeed include:
- Arlington Alliance for Youth
- Arlington Independent School District
- The University of Texas at Arlington, Student Affairs Division
- City of Arlington
- First Rate Inc.
Note: If you or your organization would like to become a major sponsor or sponsor a coalition in your neighborhood, please contact us (click here).